Translation

19 May 2011

Review of Defending Life by F. J. Beckwith

Someone liked my review below at Goodreads, so I thought I would share on my blog.
---------

Defending Life: A Moral and Legal Case Against Abortion ChoiceDefending Life: A Moral and Legal Case Against Abortion Choice by Francis J. Beckwith

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book summarizes all the most and best arguments against abortion choice. It can be a good book to bring to an abortion/ESCR/cloning debate since the section headings are a good guide. Although, the headings could have been outlined in the table of contents for quick reference.


This book does outline the non-religious grounds against abortion choice, but I still feel that the argument ultimately depends on the axiom that all humans (where a human if and only if a person) have inherent worth. This axiom is mostly found in faith traditions. If one does not have a faith tradition or other reason to uphold the axiom, the reasoning behind this book (and really all arguments for any protection for anyone) falls apart.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment in a civil manner, i.e., no foul language, name calling, threats, etc.